What Employees Say
Brown Cuff Hanky links Tie Velvet UK amp;L® Bow Set Men's L Pocket Square Oversized I am given the resources and equipment to do my job.
Management recognizes honest mistakes as part of doing business.
I'm proud to tell others I work here.
People care about each other here.
Management is honest and ethical in its business practices.
What They Do
We asked continued to explain what they do. Here is what they had to say.
A leading provider of online continuing education, continued® seeks to provide an unparalleled learning experience that enhances the lives and careers of those we serve. We offer quality, affordable continuing education resources to a broad range of licensed, certified professionals.
About this Company
| Website: www.continued.com
|| Industry: Education & Training
| US Headquarters: Houston, Texas, 77018
|| US Employees: 80
| Corporate Structure: Private
|| Founded: 1999
Set Oversized Men's Cuff Square Tie Pocket Bow L Hanky links UK Brown amp;L® Velvet
“St. Petersburg Company Meeting” Courtesy: continued
Perks and Programs
We asked continued to share a few programs they feel really capture what's unique about their workplace. Here is what they had to say.
- 100 Percent Remote: continued is a 100 percent virtual company, with every team member working from home offices across the U.S. (30 states and counting). This environment provides a number of benefits to our team members. While we all have core hours we work each day, we can be more available to our families and friends. Working from home allows us to step out to catch a child’s soccer game or school play and then get back online. We also ditch the grind of a daily commute, which enables us to redirect the extra time to personal hobbies and wellness activities. As for our office mates, we find that our pets make for great ones! For office set-up needs, continued provides each team member a MacBook, large desktop screen, wireless keyboard and mouse, and headset. Office supplies are ordered as needed, and a monthly stipend helps cover home internet expenses.
- Annual Company Trip: Every year the most anticipated company event is the annual company meeting. We treat everyone in the company to an all-expense paid three-day trip to a different location each year, where we participate in team-building events, go on fun excursions, have great dinners, laugh a lot, create new inside jokes, and recognize all the amazing things we accomplished as a team over the past year. It’s really more of a reunion than a meeting! It’s a cornerstone for our culture and something we’ve continued to evolve as we have grown.
- Health and Wellness Program: In addition to offering a comprehensive health benefits package, supporting healthy and active lifestyles is important to us. We provide each team member a complimentary Fitbit upon hire. Throughout the year we conduct team-based Fitbit challenges. Working from home can often mean sitting more than if you went in to an office, and this program has already proven to increase motivation and activity levels across the organization. A new annual wellness reimbursement provides up to $300 per year for wellness items/services such as gym memberships, fitness equipment, stand-up desks, massage, and nutrition services.
- Charitable Giving: We match up to $250 per year of a team member’s charitable gifts, or team members can take one full day, fully paid, to volunteer in-person to support the personal causes that mean the most them. In addition, we donate more than $60,000 annually toward student scholarships via charitable foundations related to the professions we serve. We also hold an annual charity event during our company meeting to raise money for a different cause each year. At the upcoming meeting, we will hold a company-wide 5K walk/run fundraiser to honor the memory of a team member who succumbed to pancreatic cancer earlier this year. Proceeds will be donated to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.Regimental Polyester Corps Marines Royal Tie ngBpxqSTwW
- continued Celebrations & Connections: Finding new ways to connect in a remote work environment is a fun challenge for our team members. Every birthday is announced on our intranet with a theme and everyone is challenged to come up with the best meme, GIF or video. It leads to a lot of fun interactions, and the birthday person really feels the love. When a team member is expecting a new baby, we hold a baby stats contest with the winner receiving $100! Every team member is offered a complimentary Kindle upon hire and invited join our voluntary book club. New business-related books are posted each month and followed with group discussions. It’s a great way to connect and also inspire innovative thinking. This year we also started a monthly virtual happy hour. Team members can join a variety of video chats held simultaneously, enjoy a beverage of choice and catch up on non-work-related stuff!
- Cuff Hanky UK Brown Tie Bow Square Pocket amp;L® L Velvet Men's Set links Oversized Professional Development:Upon hire, every team member is provided unlimited access to Lynda.com at no charge. With courses in business, software, technology, and design, anyone in the company can access it on-demand to develop their skills and enhance their productivity. Managers can also assign learning paths and track the progress of their team members. In addition, we provide generous support for attending conferences and other learning opportunities throughout the year.
- continued Innovation: It is important that we are always engaging our team members for new ways to enhance our business and culture. In 2017 we launched an annual innovation event to solicit ideas from across the company for improving our business and culture. Individuals and/or teams were able to pitch an idea to members of the executive team in a live “Shark Tank” style event at our annual company meeting. Ideas were pitched, the executive team asked thoughtful questions, and participants battled to gain sponsorship for their idea. We believe great ideas can come from anyone. In our inaugural event, six ideas were presented, and all six were sponsored for further investigation by the executive team.
- Birkman Method Insights: The Birkman Method is a behavioral and occupational assessment that helps us uncover each of our strengths, needs, motivations, and interests. It is used across the organization for hiring, ongoing performance feedback, team building, and retention. Every team member gets a full two-hour session soon after they begin employment to gain key insights about themselves, and also learn how they compare to the people they will be working with the most, including their manager, and how best to work with everyone to meet individual needs and maximize strengths. It fosters more productive conversations and daily interactions, particularly in our virtual environment, which improves the culture and overall performance of the company.
- Flat is Fantastic: As a small company we have been able to keep our organization fairly flat, meaning we have few layers of management between team members and the top executives in the company. This results in a close connection between our leaders and all levels of the company and allows us to minimize the disconnect between the day-to-day work and the focus of our leadership team. Anybody in the company can call the CEO and have a conversation - it’s actually encouraged and people do it! We host monthly all-company calls where we are very transparent about our business health and upcoming initiatives. There’s a running narrative of jokes, friendly jabs, and questions from team members the whole way through the call.
- Promoting from Within: Each and every time we have a manager or leadership job opening, we look internally first. Over the last five years, we are proud to say that 80 percent of management and leadership positions were filled internally, including two members of the current executive team. We believe in providing opportunities to grow, enriching every role in the company, and stretching folks to meet their full potential. By providing ways to grow internally, our annual voluntary turnover continues to stay at less than 2 percent.
COMPENSATION BY THE NUMBERS
| 100% Match of employee’s 401(k)/403b contribution up to 3% of salary
||60% Company-paid health coverage for employees (for All employees working 30+ hours/week)
| 60% Company-paid health coverage for dependents (for All employees working 30+ hours/week)
|| 60% Company-paid health coverage for part-timers
| 30 hours Weekly hours required for part-timers to receive health insurance
“Kayaking in St. Petersburg” Courtesy: continued
WORK-LIFE BALANCE BY THE NUMBERS
| 32 days Paid time off after one year of full-time employment
|| 11 days Paid time off after one year of part-time employment
WORK-LIFE BALANCE PROGRAMS
FAMILY CARE BY THE NUMBERS
|80 days Job-protected maternity leave (including FMLA/STD)
||30 days Fully-paid maternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*
|40 days Average length of maternity leave new mothers take
||60 days Job-protected paternity leave (including FMLA)
|5 days Fully-paid paternity leave (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)*
||5 days Average length of paternity leave new fathers take
|80 days Job-protected parental leave for adoptive parents (including FMLA)*
||30 days Fully-paid parental leave for adoptive parents (does not include personal vacation or paid time off)
FAMILY CARE PROGRAMS
- Paid sick leave to care for a child or relative
HEALTH INSURANCE COVERS
- Alternative treatments (such as acupuncture, homeopathy, or chiropractic)
Community and Environmental Impact
| 8 hours Paid time off to volunteer
|| $64,880 Philanthropic donations in last year
| $2,880 Total company-matched employee donations in last year
- Written policy prohibits discrimination based on (at a minimum) age, disability, race/ethnicity, religious beliefs, gender and sexual orientation
- Non-birth parents in same-sex relationships can take parental leave
amp;L® Bow Square Men's links Oversized UK Cuff Brown Set L Velvet Hanky Tie Pocket
“Technology Team Members” Courtesy: continued
“Making Bikes for Kids!” Courtesy: continued
How to Get Hired
We asked continued for some inside information on how to get hired at the organization. Here is what they had to say.
What key characteristics tell you a prospective employee will be a great fit for your company?
Excellent communication skills are required at all levels of the organization and anything less than excellent is the first thing that will indicate someone is not a fit. Ideal candidates are great on the phone (where you can’t see body language) and can emote warmth, a passion for what they do, humility, and a good sense of humor when not face-to-face. Since we are a 100 percent remote team, this non face-to-face communication is a key indicator of fit. A desire and commitment to help others succeed through collaboration and support is also core to the company. Read more about our core values at continued.com/employment.
What can prospective employees do to get your attention?
Write a great cover letter! We require a custom cover letter with all resume submissions (no custom cover letter, no consideration). How a person communicates in their cover letter gives us our first indications about culture fit. We use it to do an initial assessment of fit including - do you pay attention to detail, do you have strong written skills, do you have a passion for what you do, do you have a sense of humor, did you research us? Without a strong cover letter, your resume will not even be viewed - it's that important!
Are there any positions or types of candidates you are particularly focused on hiring in this coming year?
We are hiring in a wide variety of postions including marketing, technology, editorial and more as we continue our expansion into new professions and continue to improve our products.
What should interested candidates do to find out more and get started?
Candidates should check out our employment page at continued.com/employment to read about our benefits and perks, Core Values and detail on our open positions and apply if interested. They should also check out our reviews on Glassdoor.com to get a better understanding of what it's like to work here from current employees.
| 15 Forecasted positions to fill in coming year
|| 13% Job Growth
| 385 Average applicants per opening
|| 5,000 Total job applicants
| 2% New hires by employee referrals
||Set UK Men's links amp;L® Brown Cuff Square L Hanky Bow Velvet Pocket Oversized Tie 1% Voluntary turnover for full-time employees